Magento is one of the most famous platforms for online commerce. With 300,000+ merchants using the platform worldwide, it’s a favorite choice of many large corporations and small companies alike. Building online stores on Magento is the best way to attract millions of visitors due to an incredible number of plugins that help implement any business ideas. But, what’s the cost of Magento website development, really? Will you be able to bare them?
We’ll dive into each and every expense you need to consider when developing a Magento website and ways to reduce those costs when appropriate. But before, let’s take a look at the advantages of running a Magento store.
With Magento, an online store gets everything needed, including all bells and whistles to start and grow any project with confidence. Most importantly, such a store is ready to adapt to any changes. Magento’s built-in functions and modules make eCommerce simple and clear both for administrators and customers.
Managers get a convenient and intuitive product catalog control panel. It’s easy to customize for any type of product: from auto parts to real estate and digital technology. Automated catalog management includes out-of-the-box features such as multicurrency and step-by-step filtering. If you add modules for marketing, promotion, and auditing, you get the perfect online sales tool.
The main features of Magento are:
- Free to download and install (open-source type);
- Streamlined administration panel;
- Scalability. Possibility to deploy several stores using one panel;
- Integrated analytics capabilities;
- SEO-friendly architecture;
- Fast page load time;
- A great number of payment gateways and add-ons;
- Large community with dedicated users;
- Reliable security;
- Wide range of features in the basic version: multilingualism, discounts, etc.;
- Flexible website, features, apps, integrations, admin rights, etc.
For customer convenience, the basic version of the cart allows users to connect reviewed, added, and favorite products, as well as to review the purchase history. Product tabs will have comments, ratings, reviews, and more to help them make a purchasing decision. Powerful search and site navigation tools work for the same purpose. Attention to such details is also appreciated by Google. This means that it will evaluate your website pages higher and move them up in search results, increasing the chances to be noticed by customers.
In addition to online store functions, the platform also has other features as follows:
- Automatic maintenance of statistics on sales, orders, deliveries, setting up tax rules, etc.;
- Product catalog management: products, product sections, attributes (filters), search queries, product ratings;
- Management of users and user groups;
- Management of discounts, setting up discounts for individual products and product groups;
- Creation of separate text pages;
- Automatic maintenance of statistics: sales, shopping carts (including abandoned ones), statistics of product browsing, best sellers, reviews, search queries, etc.
Magento is the most functionally rich system compared to other similar platforms. In this regard, it’s demanding on server resources.
Basic Magento website maintenance does not require any special skills from its owner or experts. However, fine-tuning or creating additional software modules requires the participation of highly skilled pros. The system is more demanding to server resources, compared to other e-commerce platforms.
What’s the Cost of Magento Website Development?
The devs’ task is to combine all the modules in a single one, i.e. build an online store that works steadily and brings profit. Maximum functionality for B2C and B2B projects in flexibly configurable modules, easy administration, built-in marketing tools, SEO, analytics, and integration abilities – all this is (and much more) is an online store on Magento.
Thanks to the two versions of the platform, i.e. Community and Enterprise Edition, the development of an online store on Magento is equally beneficial for small new businesses and huge corporations. You might want to know that Magento is preferred by well-known brands such as Nike, Ford, Olympus, Coca-Cola, Nestle, Vizio, BVLGARI, K-Swiss, Liverpool FC, etc.
The price of building an online store on Magento depends primarily on the complexity of work – how many hours will devs and other experts need to bring your idea to life? We’d say, around 200 for a start? But that’s too rough. We don’t know your goals and business type!
All in all, the difference between setting up a basic CMS with a template theme for a small trading platform and the development of custom modules + design for a large-scale marketplace is huge.
As mentioned earlier, being open-source software, Magento allows users to customize their online stores. For those who have time or software development skills, Magento offers many out-of-the-box modules to play with. The technology is certainly a smart choice for eCommerce online stores of various types. However, we recommend checking out a Demo to see how it all works before committing to anything.
Many users are interested in a custom approach but concerned about the cost of developing a custom Magento website. This is where it gets complicated more than you might think. Determining the cost of Magento website development services is not the same as doing the same for, say, a pound of avocados. Thus, we’d like to outline this idea in more detail.
In the article, you will also find useful information about Magento packages and their cost, tips on online store modules, and learn how much time it takes to develop a website.
What Does Development Cost Depend On?
Building an online store on Magento includes developing personalized modules or assembling basic ones. Moreover, it involves setting up and testing all the features, image uploads, creation of product categories, and many other important tasks, so that you get a full-fledged website, ready to start selling tomorrow!
In addition, it’s impossible to calculate how much an online store on Magento costs, without considering the purchase of a server/hosting and domain.
Every owner of a Magento-based website has come across extensions for this platform. The base of ready-made modules amounts to thousands, so finding the only extension you need turns out to be quite challenging. At the same time, some extensions are missing, so they have to be developed from scratch. All these factors affect the cost of the module for Magento.
Site on Magento. Creation and Cost
Again, this is a difficult question, the one that users constantly ask. You understand that many factors affect the cost of development. So the package will depend on the size of the business and what you do.
You need to figure out the complexity of the future solution and specific features you need to set up, e.g. a multilingual Magento store.
There are several Magento plans, including Basic Magento, Community Edition, and Enterprise Edition. So if you want to create an eCommerce site on Magento, you need to choose the right package.
What are the differences between these packages, how do you create a solid multi-store on Magento, and which one is best for your budget?
Let’s find out!
This package is ideal for a simple online store. It includes all the basic functionality without any fancy features. It’s an ideal solution for small companies, as this version is easy to run and manage.
The cost of an online store using this package starts at $1,000 and can go up to $40,000. When you purchase the basic Magento package, you will have access to the following features:
- Basic Magento website functionality;
- Standard themes and designs;
- Access to the Magento community;
- A simple and efficient CMS;
- No Integration With Back Office Systems.
Note that integration with other backend systems is not available in this version.
Custom Website (Community Edition)
If your company has an existing online store, and you want to order migration services from another eCommerce platform to your new Magento store, the right choice is custom website development with Magento Community.
The cost of custom website development on the Magento Community version starts at $15,000 and can reach up to $100,000. This version includes both the above features of the previous version and new features that will help take your business to the next level thanks to the following extra benefits:
- Custom Magento online store design;
- Integration with back-office systems;
- Custom product attributes;
- User groups;
- Hosting migrations;
- Extensions, plugins, and modules.
Magento Enterprise is perfect for large enterprise-level companies if you want to get rid of all the worries. This version has a complete set of features required for an online store of a large company.
The cost of developing an online store here starts at $60,000 and can reach up to $250,000. The most pleasant thing about this package is that many Magento Enterprise functions here are automated for smooth eCommerce sales. It controls most of the processes, starting with orders and ending with shipping to customers. So you can basically just sit and relax or focus more on the business strategy.
In this version, more features are added to the above functions, such as:
- An adaptive version of the online store;
- Multiple stores;
- Numerous built-in modules;
- Free customer support and segmentation;
- Free hosting of the site on the Magento server;
- Discount and discount system;
- Full-page caching;
- Free Professional Customer Support;
- A large amount of SKU’s;
- Social media integration;
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO);
- Targeted promotions & merchandising;
- Custom Coupons;
- Integration with shipping providers
- Other important features.
Choosing the right Magento version is just the first step in creating a customized online store. Further in the article, we’ll tell you what else makes up the cost of developing a site on Magento.
If you’re serious about joining the Magento community and enjoying all the benefits of the CMS, it’s worth considering additional costs beforehand, in the first stages of your project creation.
Buying a server is the first thing to consider when creating an online store on Magento. In other words, the location of your online store depends on it. There are several options to choose from. You can buy a server to be located in your office. Or you can order a hosting service, which is a more flexible option. Why? Because you will have the necessary space for your site if you plan to expand in the future.
When you start to calculate the approximate cost of Magento online store development, keep in mind the cost of purchasing a domain. The price is often included in the total cost of online store development.
Also, when buying a domain for your site, don’t forget to check the keywords – your domain should be associated with your line of business. This way you will attract more customers and increase sales.
Every online store needs a beautiful, simple, and clear theme. Online stores on Magento are no exception.
Magento theme store offers a large selection of free themes that will suit most sites. In addition, you can use a paid theme or order custom theme development. The latter is the most expensive, however, it’s the most flexible. This is how your site will fit your vision to the maximum extent possible.
If you choose a paid theme, make sure you don’t forget to consider its cost beforehand.
Most online stores on Magento use multiple extensions at the same time. There are options for both paid and free extensions. However, some customers prefer the development of custom add-ons. If you want your online store to have custom features, be sure to consider the cost of their development beforehand.
This is where you will spend most of your budget. Do not forget that your project will be worked on by a whole team of different experts.
This is the most important stage for every online seller. Usually, the team that takes on the creation of an online store, performs tasks related to the development, customization, and configuration of the store on Magento. In addition, the team handles image uploading, category creation, and other tasks to make your online store launch-ready. After the launch, the team provides technical support for several months.
How Much It Takes to Create an Online Store on Magento?
In order to plan the development stages, it’s better to divide projects into timeframes, as different teams may have different hourly rates, depending on experience. On average, a quality Magento developer will cost between $65 to $150 per hour.
- Needs Identification. The team needs about one or two days to understand the client’s needs and business goals. At this stage, the team identifies what kind of Magento package the client needs and how many plugins and add-ons are required to achieve the goal.
- Installation. It takes about 1 day to purchase, install, and configure Magento (basic installation).
- Modules and plugins. At this stage, the team is engaged in buying all pre-agreed modules and plugins, such as a search module, item submission module, checkout module, a payment module, blog, and various advanced modules for SEO. Usually, it takes from one to three days for the team to complete, depending on the number of modules and their complexity.
- Custom module development. This step largely depends on what module needs to be developed. However, on average it takes about 1 day to write a customized module.
- Theme. If you prefer to use a premade theme for your Magento site, searching and purchasing can take several hours. While the creation of a custom theme can take about a month.
- Theme configuration. In order to install and configure a premade theme, the team needs about 1 day.
- Custom site layout. If your idea requires a custom layout, the team needs up to one month to create it and configure all the modules and plugins.
- Custom Magento theme. Depending on the requirements, this stage of development can take up to one month.
- Testing. The testing phase depends a lot on the complexity of the site. Testing may take from one day to one month.
- Final settings and site publication. Uploading the finished project usually takes from one to two days.
Now you understand how much time it takes to create a Magento online store.
As mentioned earlier, hourly rates for Magento developers range from $65 to $150 depending on the level and experience.
To save your time we have prepared useful information about modules for online stores on Magento, which are necessary for successful online trading.
Custom Module Development
Before ordering the development of custom modules, you might want to look for a similar module on the Magento store site. Why reinvent the wheel? Look at the list of basic plugins that can be used for your site.
For example, a checkout module. The standard module requires customers to fill out several fields on different pages. Such a number of actions have a negative impact on conversion. But we know how to fix it! As an example, you can consider the OneStepCheckout module ($590), which allows you to check out in one click.
If you need more flexibility and additional features for your online store, such as checkout without registration or registering by phone, the Configurable Checkout module ($69) can help.
SEO is another important element. All of the standard modules no longer meet all of today’s requests. We recommend Advanced SEO Suite, which costs $149. There’s also SEO Suite Ultimate, which costs $299. Since both modules cost less than $300, they can do wonders with your traffic if set up properly.
Another useful eCommerce extension is website product search. If your customers can’t find the product they want, they won’t buy it. If your online store’s homepage has a product search, regular visitors will convert into buyers much more easily. According to a study by eConsultancy, up to 30% of visitors will use the site search bar to navigate. And the conversion rate of visitors who use product search is 1.8 times higher than on sites with no search.
Product search types can be different on different sites. So we have prepared a list of the most important features that should be considered:
- Similar products;
- Suggestion for possible search results;
- Product name spelling correction;
To enhance the search features on your site, we recommend the $99 Search Autocomplete & Suggest plugin. With it, users will be able to see suggestions for possible search results. You can also use the Sphinx Search Ultimate plugin ($249). These plugins will guarantee boosted conversion on your site.
If there are not enough plugins to implement your idea, the development dedicated team can help you. Usually, it takes $1,500 (at least) to create a custom plugin. Before you start the development process, make sure that the profit you get will cover its cost.
Custom plugin development comes in several stages:
- Analyzing the existing site and all custom functionality;
- Defining the scope of the project;
- Development phase;
- Testing and bug fixing;
- Project launch.
It’s worth remembering that the cost of the custom plugin development is based on the time the developers will spend on it.
Tips on Hiring a Magento Developer
Remember, it takes time and experience in design and development to get quality results, just like it takes skilled professionals + time. If you need a large custom online store and the team you hire says they’ll do all the work in a month, don’t get excited ahead of time. It’s not going to happen.
When planning your budget, remember that in solid companies, developers work full-time and indeed invest time into your project. If you are given an overly attractive quote for custom software development, it’s likely that the work will be done poorly and very late. You always get what you pay for.
Even the most talented student or PHP developer can’t create a quality website on Magento alone. This is a big project that involves experts in SEO, web design, analytics, UI for both frontend and backend.
Involving off-shore companies in the project can reduce the cost of outsourcing development. Usually, such companies have all the necessary specialists to help you bring your project to life.
Remember that when you launch your online store on Magento, it will not start making profits instantly. You will have many competitors in the online commerce industry. To make your online store profitable, don’t forget to include the cost of marketing promotions, creating social media profiles, and advertising on various channels when creating your project.
When choosing a dev team to create an online store on Magento, remember that you need a trusted company that will support and manage the project at all stages. In the future, you and the development team should have a long-term relationship.
Choosing a Magento Development Company
With thousands of companies available online, it’s quite difficult to find the best service provider. We recommend checking company rating sites and reading reviews carefully before contacting your potential provider. We recommend choosing a Magento development company based on:
- Number of employees;
- Company’s location and time zone;
- Customer reviews and recommendations;
- Portfolio and case studies;
- Relevant industry and technology experience;
- Internal processes and quality of communication.
Cost of Magento Website Development In a Shell
Now you know what it takes to create an online store on Magento. Let’s summarize:
- Typical hourly rate. Magento devs usually charge between $65 and $150 per hour;
- Initial interview. It takes one or two days to determine the client’s needs and business goals;
- Magento installation. Usually takes less than one day to purchase, install, and set basic parameters;
- Modules and plugins. 1 to 3 days depending on the number and nature of the modules;
- Custom module development takes approximately one day to create;
- Custom website theme development usually takes one month (at least);
- Premade website theme configuration takes approximately one day;
- Custom HTML layout takes up to one month;
- Custom theme creation requires from three/four weeks and up to one month;
- Testing requires from one day to one month;
- Final settings and deployment require one or two days.
It’s difficult to estimate the cost of Magento online store development without specific requirements and required features. Project size, customization degree, and complexity greatly affect the cost of development.
Cost estimation can remain a gray area for both parties until every technical requirement is specified and understood. In general, the cost of developing an online store for a small business can be anywhere between $1,000 to $50,000.e-commerce finances